Software System Engineer Software System Engineer
An exciting vacancy for a talented Embedded Software Engineer, proficient in Java and C, in a Unix environment, is required to join a world-leading scientific research organisation in the Oxford area. We’re looking for solid self-starters with at least a 2.1 BSc/BEng/MEng Degree in science or engineering.
This is a unique opportunity for an Embedded Software Engineer with a background in control systems development. The job will be to help provide the control systems infrastructure (based on the international EPICS control systems software toolkit) and get to grips with the full software engineering lifecycle using Agile development processes; programming in C, C++ and Java to develop highly robust server applications and science focused user interfaces.
- Working with the research scientists and engineers to define and document software requirements for experiments
- Use advanced programming tools and object oriented languages to design, implement and support control software
- Writing scripting software for the advanced control of instrumentation
- Develop and maintain expertise in software techniques and apply them to the development of new software applications and associated frameworks
- Maintain responsibility for the management and co-ordination of own workload
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Must be available to travel occasionally in the UK and sometimes overseas
- Significant relevant experience of languages such as C, Java, and scripting languages
- Appropriate 2:1 degree or above in Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Physics, Maths or similar