Principal Mechanical Design Engineer Scientific Instruments
We have a new vacancy for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer to join a rapidly-growing high technology company who are developing revolutionary scientific molecular analysis instruments. These revolutionary scientific instruments pull together elements from Chemistry, Physics, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering. As a key member of the research and development team your job as Principal Mechanical Engineer will be to understand the customer’s requirements and translate these into complete finished instrumentation systems together with their associated consumable products.
- Working with the other members of the product development team you will lead the design and development of mechanical systems and assemblies of an array of complex ultra-precision scientific instruments.
- You will translate product requirements into formal engineering product specifications
- Design and development of mechanical systems including detailed design and evaluation, machine layout and industrial design aspects to optimise ergonomics, aesthetics and usability.
- Break down development into functional areas and source/design/build prototypes for feasibility tests, debugging and rapid development.
- The successful candidate must have at least 5 years industrial experience, preferably in design and development of scientific instrumentation, medical devices or similar ultra high-tech machines.
- We are seeking experience in the following areas:
- Design For Manufacture
- Design of precision mechanisms.
- Design methodologies used in fluidic control.
- Design of complex moulded assemblies
- Knowledge of polymers and their joining methods
- Knowledge of Electronic assembly methods
- Mechanical CAD systems (SolidWorks, ProE or Catia).
- Experience using CFD
- Industrial design and ergonomics